Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hot soup on a cold day

Yesterday, I decided to make a soup recipe that turned out terrific. I love having hot soup on a cold day.
I bought all the ingredients for the soup when I grocery shopped yesterday and after school I started the process. Now I am not a big fan of vegetables, but I will gladly eat them in soup or stews. I don't like them plain on the side of the plate. I know, I am picky. I wonder where my kids get their picky behavior from?

If anyone is interested, here is the soup recipe.

Squash soup

1 large butternut squash
1 carrot
1 piece of celery
1 leek(white part only)
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp butter
8 cups chicken broth
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Microwave squash, cut side down in a bowl with a little bit of water for approx. 10 minutes. While squash is cooking, cut up carrot, onion, celery and leek into 1" pieces and add to pot. Gently saute in butter until tender. Do not brown.
When squash is cooked, scape flesh away and add squash to pot. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. When soup in boiling, add apple, bay leaf, sugar and salt and pepper. Boil for about 40 minutes. Remove bay leaf and puree soup. If soup appears watery, let it simmer until it thickens. Serve.

No comments: