Monday, January 26, 2009

Good bye

I had to put my cat down on Friday.
One of the worse decisions to make as a pet owner.

My cat, Simba, who was going to be 11 years old in April, was a big round ball of love. He had some extra weight, OK, on the vets scale he would be considered obese, but the friendliest cat around.

Unfortunately he has been having issues with pooping on the kids beds this last year and lately has been drinking and urinating alot. We have almost gone through 18kg of litter in under 2 weeks and practically 4 bowls of water a day. Before Christmas, probably sometime in November we had weighed our cats, and Simba was 23lbs. I weighed him again at the beginning of last week, and he weighed 20 lbs. He had lost 3 lbs in 1-2 months. I was pretty sure he was going diabetic with weight loss and drinking alot.

I made the call to the vet to have him put down.

When I brought him into the vet, she tried to convince me to do a whole work up for $300 to find out if it is type 1 or type 2 diabetes. If it is type 2 diabetes he would just need oral medication, most likely leading to insulin in the near future.

We as a family could not make this commitment, and had him put down. It was a hard decision, but one that had to be made. I cried when it was done and kissed him goodbye.
He was a member of our family and will be missed terribly.

No comments: