Thursday, March 26, 2009

Shin Splints

I am a very active person. I normally work out 5-6 times a week. I am obsessed with working out and keeping in shape. I love it, I love the work out high and the feeling of overall strength.
Sunday I went for a run/jog.. My husband calls what I do jogging, as the speed I go is too slow to be considered running... ha ha..
I did very well, I ran 6km in just over 30 minutes. I like to strive for longer runs and better time.. A little competition with yourself and sometimes your husband is very healthy!

About 6-7 minutes into my run, I could feel a slight twinge in my lower shin, close to my ankle, and I kept going for a few minutes longer, until I decided, I better stop and give my calf a good stretch. I took a few minutes to stretch and continued on my way. I never felt the twinge again until the next day..

I had a shin splint and it was very painful. I took the day off any pounding exercise, but managed to squeeze in about 20 minutes of strength training. I couldn't totally take the day off.
Tuesday it was getting better, but still sore, so I worked out on the elliptical and then a yoga pilates DVD (a no pounding, gentle workout). I just started using the Yoga/Pilates DVD. It isn't easy stuff, but I don't mind doing it after a good cardio workout, as a strength training relaxation workout.
By Wednesday I felt no pain in my shin, but still didn't want to push myself. I went for about a 35 minute walk and felt great.

Today I think I will run again. I will take it easy and make sure I spend a good few minutes before hand doing some extra stretching of my calf.

No comments: